Sunday, August 19, 2007

Top 50? Top Listed??

Recently I removed the Stamping Top 50 and Top Listed Stamping widgets from my blog. In the past 6 months I have been moving up in the standings reaching the low 200's when, for no reason at all, I lose my standing - getting the old "user not found" error message. E-mails to the Top 50 site go unanswered and I am forced to resubmit and start all over again, with my ranking over 500. After the third time with this happening, I did a little soul searching. Was I trying to win some popularity contest? (visions of high school - ugh..) Was I trying to build my ego up? (perhaps) I realized that the incredibly gifted and creative people who have made it to the Top 50 are deserving and I needed to just enjoy blogging, creating and sharing what I do with my friends, family and those who are kind enough to visit my blog. SO - the pressure is now off!! No more worrying about ranking. I replaced the widgets with a world map, which shows the location of people who visit (this is so cool - besides I like maps) and a slide show of my works.
If you blog, how do you feel about these ranking sites?

5 comments:

Stamping Moments said...

Hi Nancy, I just found your blog on Alex site (who I found recently), and don't worry your cards are fabulous. jennyx

Susie said...

For the confident, fabulous stampers that want that sort of information the ratings and counters are fine. My personality can be fragile in that area so I choose not to do that. I used to have a counter but after trying several different kinds and losing the information several times I decided it really wasn't worth it for me. I have a small readership and I don't have the pressure that counters can sometimes bring. I'm not criticizing anyone that uses them. What I do have on my site is a statistics counter - which can be a hit counter if I want to use it like that. I only look at the statistics once in a while to see who is coming for a visit and to make sure I'm not just talking to myself.

Heather said...

I removed my Top 50 counter a few weeks ago. I now blog because I want to and not to win the popularity contest. I was paranoid that I wasn't a good stamper if my ranking dropped. Not worth it. I want this to be enjoyable for me to write my blog and for others to read it.

Unknown said...

This is good to know! I did the top 50 list to get the word out so to speak so the stampers would be able to find me. I like to put a lot of tutorials out there. I think we should share info. That was the point of the web to begin with.

I may follow your lead if it continues to be a problem. I like your new widgets. I have been debating over the map myself!

Anne said...

Hello Nancy,

Enjoy seeing your ideas "Flourish!" *wink* In regards to the "popularity" counters... you can't stay on top forever! I'd rather be popular with my family & friends for spending time or making a fabulous sit down dinner every night. I disliked cliques in school and I still dislike them today! *wink*

Enjoy and have FUN... that's what it's truly about in the big picture!

Hugs,
Anne :)