Monday, July 9, 2007

Computers, modems, routers, NSR

While I am no computer expert, I have installed my share of printers, scanners, cameras, PDA's, GPS, and tons of software over the years. So, installing a wireless router so that my dear husband can use the laptop (already wirelessly equipped) to surf the net while I'm on SCS should not be a problem, right?
Saturday night: Tried to install several times, broke down and called the dreaded Tech Support for Linksys (the router manufacturer). Spend over two hours with them, with 3 different people, two of whom I could not understand. Frustrated, ended the call with no success.
Sunday: Dear husband finds "geek by the minute" tech support on line and insists we (meaning ME) call them. I say, what do we do after we spend a hour and $120 and still have the same problem? He says this will work. I call, spend an hour with them, they finally say that I have to call my ISP and have my internet password reset and then it will work. Now, I am not a computer expert, but I know this is not going to be the fix, but do so anyway. It does not work. I call back and speak to the same guy, complaining about them charging me without solving the problem. We spend another 20 minutes trying to fix things with no success - they insist it is the ISP's fault. I call the ISP and spend another hour with them, they try to blame the other two and insist there is a problem with my computer (it was working just fine before all this, and works fine without the wireless router). Mad at everyone now, I tell DH I will call a computer person in the morning and get at home support. Hungry and in need of a strong drink we go out to the local sports bar/burger joint and order....but.... oh no...... it is Sunday and no alcohol served in our county on Sunday AAARRRGHH!
Monday: Call Karl's Computer Service serving the Pensacola/Pace area. Karl is retired USN with over 20 years experience. I tell him my woes and he says he will fix the problem within an hour and if he does not he will not charge me. He shows up on time, works on the router for 1/2 hour - no success. Says he has a different router in his car - let's put that one in and see if it works. He pops it in and in 5 minutes we are in business!!
I call Geeks by the Minute and tell them I want some type of refund because they did not fix the problem, we agree on a 45% discount - I grudgingly agree since it was a bad router.
Linksys sends me a customer satisfaction survey to which I blast their use of people who cannot speak English and their inablilty to recognize that their product may be defective.
I send an e-mail to my ISP support telling them they should admit when they don't know what the problem is, instead of passing the buck.
I tell Karl he is the best thing around!! Let me put out a good word for Karl's Computer Service serving Pensacola and Pace area of Florida. If you need computer service in the area, he is listed in the yellow pages...give him a call!

4 comments:

Anne said...

So sorry to hear of your computer woes, HOWEVER your story described my luck with computers exactly... I had a good chuckle... especially about the "No Serve Sunday" in your county! *wink*

Anne :)

Anne said...

Oops... maybe you forgot to mention "and Men" under your title? Haven't you heard that most womans problems begin with MEN attached to them?! lol....

Anne :)

PS... I love my hubby dearly! *wink*

Heidi said...

Oh boy- what a day. Glad to hear that all is working well now!

May I ask, what SCS RAK club do you belong to that you get cards? I would love to send cards out... well and of course get some too.

Unknown said...

Oh Nancy, and I thought I was having a bad day!!!! lol thank goodness Karl finally fixed it for you, bless him